FUFBUF

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gay Sports  (Read 6785 times)

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Gay Sports
« on: October 01, 2007, 01:29:29 AM »

Did you know there is a Gay World Cup? There is. Argentina's Los Dogos just won it. It seems the tournament has been around for a while... it's the tenth.

Argentine team beats British side to win gay world cup

BUENOS AIRES (AFP) - Argentina's Los Dogos captured the gay football world cup Saturday, defeating British title-holders Stonewall 1-0 in Buenos Aires in the first final held in Latin America.

The two teams were among 28 squads from Europe, the Americas and Australia that participated in the 10th gay football world championship aimed at highlighting the fight against homophobia and discrimination.

With their victory, Los Dogos, named after an Argentine dog breed, automatically qualified for the 2008 tournament hosted by London.

The tournament is organized by the International Gay and Lesbian Football Association.
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Rain

• Guru
Re: Gay Sports
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 02:45:42 PM »

Gays play football?  Who knew!
Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 07:05:59 AM »

Gay Superbowl 7 Comes to the Lower East Side

The New York Gay Football League is hosting Gay Superbowl 7 over Columbus Day Weekend. The tournament has been two years in the making and promises to feature the highest level of play yet, along with some great nighttime events that give attendees a taste of New York City. They are expecting 18-20 teams for the largest gay football tournament ever.

The games will be held Oct. 5-7, 2007

This would be that "other" football.
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

berto

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 01:54:52 PM »

Gays play football?  Who knew!

Does *footsies* count? :P ;)
"The dignity of an animal is measured by his capacity to revolt in the face of oppression." -- Mikhail Bakunin

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 04:47:02 PM »

No, Sweetie... 'footsies' is a game played with the feet. Football self-evidently involves *balls* as well as feet.

berto

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 12:00:09 PM »

Oh, sorry. Maybe I had it mixed up with "footy". :P
"The dignity of an animal is measured by his capacity to revolt in the face of oppression." -- Mikhail Bakunin

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 05:41:54 PM »

Speaking of the Gay Superbowl (and, for some reason, we were), I noticed that it's been  pretty much a week since this game's existence was announced in the Gay press, but I can't say as I've encountered any mention at all of who ended up winning it.

Can't have that... I mean, that would be the point of covering it in the first place.

I ended up spending a half an hour trying to find out. Really... you'd think that the sites that tout the registration of teams for this event and all the gee-wizz forums and panel discussions that seem to invariably accompany them (that, by the way, would be one of the key differences between straight sports and Gay sports -- the Gay sporting events seem unable to simply play a game... they must bring in speakers: it's not entirely a bad thing) would at least bother to put up the scores.

Thank goodness for OutSports (not following sporting events all that closely, they had quite slipped my mind).

The New York Warriors won.

Dredging up what very little I can remember of football from past infatuations with burly football players, it appears they won quite nicely and decisively.

Good for them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up