FUFBUF

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gay Science Fiction convention  (Read 6018 times)

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Gay Science Fiction convention
« on: September 30, 2007, 01:20:40 AM »

Gay Science Fiction convention

They’re coming soon, and they’re bringing the idea of a hopeful future for gay men and lesbians with them. Local organizers expect about 500 people to beam into Gaylaxicon 2007 next weekend in Atlanta, the latest event in the 20-year history of the traveling science fiction/fantasy/horror convention for gay fans. "Gay folks have always read science fiction because there's sort of a misfit mentality to a lot of it that Gay folks find very comfortable and familiar," says Jim Grimsley, a literature professor at Emory University, and the author of a series of science fiction novels inhabited by Gay and Lesbian protagonists.

And true... there is much more on the story here.

In this case, "local organizers" mean these fine folks.
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

vanrozenheim

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • http://gayhomeland.org/
Re: Gay Science Fiction convention
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 11:18:26 PM »

And, for those who yet didn't know, there is a nice fanfic adoption of Star Trek called Hidden Frontiers. Now they have also a version with subtitles, which is very helpfull for people who have difficulties with understanding spoken English.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 02:45:09 PM »

Many moons ago when I was still a closeted prepubscent, I used to read the Star Trek books.  There was one in particular that caught my attention...it had a gay storyline.  I don't remember the name, having given away all those books a long time ago.  But, Geez Louise, that book made me feel good about the future of the homosexual race...ha ha ha ha. 
Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 04:01:55 AM »

Might it have been Section 31: Rogue?
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 05:17:37 AM »

Nope.  That wasn't the one.  This was before Picard, Sisko, or Janeway came along.  Kirk was still in charge and they were visiting a planet where homosexuality was the norm, rather than the exception.
Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 06:45:12 AM »

Cool. I'll have to try to find that one (next time I feel up to sci-fi).
Pages: [1]   Go Up