FUFBUF

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Endorsed or official languages in the Gay Homeland.  (Read 20651 times)

berto

• Guru
Endorsed or official languages in the Gay Homeland.
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 02:45:34 PM »

Quote from: "Rain"
By the way (and I know berto's gonna love this), the Los Angeles Dodgers trace their name back to New York's early trolley line system..."trolley dodger" being the nickname given to Brooklynites by other city dwellers because of the large number of trolley lines that ran through that borough.  So, when the Brooklyn Dodgers moved to L.A. they effectively took a name with them that has absolutely no connection with their new home.

Ackshully, I knew this tidbit already. I did not know this:

It was originally an Algonquin footpath prior to European settlement and was maintained as the main route to the hinterlands by the early Dutch and, later, the English.

You (like Fer) are an endless source of fascinating information, my dear...
"The dignity of an animal is measured by his capacity to revolt in the face of oppression." -- Mikhail Bakunin

berto

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 02:48:23 PM »

I'm still waiting for berto to take this test.  Even if letters of the alphabet are not part of the questionnaire.

The "test" is Yanqui-centric. I do NOT speak Yanqui...
"The dignity of an animal is measured by his capacity to revolt in the face of oppression." -- Mikhail Bakunin

berto

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 02:51:47 PM »

There are, after all, many gay Gays (as well as the usual crop of surly, bitchy ones). :wink:

Gawd, you make me LAFF sometimes...

*kisses to Fer*

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 04:50:14 PM »

Wait...

How did we get away from Britney Spears' shaved twat?
Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 05:48:30 PM »

Anyway...going back to Polari and Faggish....

While the use of Yiddish is commonplace in New York and many other cities with large Jewish populations, in Israel, Jews have had to fight to preserve it, sometimes with violent opposition from other Jews (because this language has strong connections to the Holocaust).  

We should see to it that unique forms of Gay (happy, Fer?) speech be preserved and indeed encouraged.  Both Yiddish and Polari/Faggish share interesting commonalities, both being languages of oppressed minorities which evolved under hostile conditions to serve as codes of group identity.
Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 07:32:04 AM »

Quote from: "berto"
I'm still waiting for berto to take this test.  Even if letters of the alphabet are not part of the questionnaire.

The "test" is Yanqui-centric. I do NOT speak Yanqui...

Ahem. I have heard you speak. It is a variety of "Upper Midwest" with not so much of the Cheddar-Head in it. I suspect it's a prairie thing. I'm not all that clear on the more western variations of the accent. Considering where you're from, I would not be at all surprised if there was more than a touch of western Minnesota in your accent. Of course, there's still that problematic west-coast surfer-boy thing you do with some of your vowels... but that's neither here nor there.

You talk like a Cheddar-Head with a cold. Not that that's a bad thing... Wisconsin is just crawling with really very nice people. (Too nice... disturbingly nice... suspiciously nice.... No one is that nice).

Wait...

How did we get away from Britney Spears' shaved twat?

Um... Divine Grace? Phenomenal luck? Outstanding karma?

unique forms of Gay (happy, Fer?) speech

Positively giddy. It's made me so gay that there are little Snow White blue birds flitting about the room. It's annoying the cat.

But... I seriously agree with you. Gay modes of speech should be encouraged. So... um... GO RAIN! Rah Rah!

or... you could teach me something. :)
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 09:53:15 AM »

GO RAIN! Rah Rah!

Lesson #1:  In Standard Spoken Faggish (because there is no WRITTEN form, standard or otherwise), the expression "rah, rah" is  pejorative.  It is also a noun.  

Examples:  "Guhrl...she cackled so fiuhzly she doned gived me da rah rahs!"  or  "Last night I got yakked by this oyse banjee trade til it gave my amyugs da rah-rahs!"  An African American would use "amyugahs" in that sentence instead of "amyugs".  The word is a pig latinized form of the Faggish word "yams"...a common word for arse, ass, butt, behind, butthole...you get the picture.  Note that there is always a "uh" in the middle of the word "guhrl", lest it be confused with the real thing.

To give someone the rah-rahs is to give them the blues or to hurt them (usually unintentionally).  Or even, to annoy.  Like what the queens did to me when I first came out of the closet and discovered that NYC fags had not one, but TWO forms of gay slang and both of those had subtle racial varieties.  It wasn't until a few years later when I watched "The Boys in The Band" that I realized that this form of speech had been developing for a long time.  Later on, my own research led me to this little nugget:

It is quite common for gays in the U.S. to use the term "queen" when referring to one another.  It's even common in other English-speaking countries.  But that word is not the same word as the one used for Elizabeth II.  Although the word that today means monarch and the one that gays use for each other are both indeed derived from a common Old English word that originally meant "woman".  This word diverged into two strains...the king's woman or "queen" and the other, spelt "quean", was used for a harlot, a prostitute, a woman of ill repute.  THIS is the word that has been passed down since the days of the Venerable Bede to the present as the common gay "queen".

I shan't give you the rah-rahs any longer.  That concludes your first lesson in NYC Faggish.  Class dismissed.

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2007, 06:32:18 AM »

Mmmmmm... class is in session.

One day I may even learn How to Read.  :panick:
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2007, 10:33:22 PM »

I LIVEEEEEEEEEEEE!  Mecca Revlon is none other than the former Mecca Ninja (he changed houses).  He's my adopted nephew/neice.  Another one of Willi Ninja's proteges.  Nice to see he's still active in the ballroom.  I had almost started to believe that krystal and extasy had done him in.

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2007, 11:13:14 PM »

Nope.

And I have to say... that's one of the better uses of the "Imperial March" from Star Wars ever.

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 01:34:31 AM »

Ahh...very good.  Thank you, Fer.  I had no way of getting a hold of Mecca.  I expected to see him at Willi's funeral and he was a no-show (they had a bitter falling out just before Willi died).  He'll be surprised to find out that I remixed his song with Kevin Aviance's "Ugly" while I was recuperating from double pneumonia.  Yes, I really SHOULD kill the boyfriend.  LOL.  He'll get a kick out of it since he and Kevin and Nita Aviance (the dj for the House of Aviance) are very close.

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2007, 02:21:49 AM »

And I have to say... that's one of the better uses of the "Imperial March" from Star Wars ever.

I'm impressed...and shocked.  He's a Revlon.  That in itself is no small thing in the NYC underground gay ball circuit.  Jose "Stiffy" Revlon was his main competition when he was a Ninja.  They will make a formidable force to be reckoned with in any voguing competition.  As it is, the "new way" vogue children are all trying like mad to learn the "old way" (circa 1980-1994) style of voguing.  It's grueling, physical, and requires attention to detail and Olympic-style precision.  It's a pity the ballroom children have always considered ourselves the "bastard children of the gay community".  The amount of creativity and artistry is astounding.

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2007, 08:13:20 AM »

"Bastard children of the Gay community?"

I think not.

"Front-runners," perhaps. "Harbingers," maybe. I'm not in the least bit astounded by the levels of creativity and artistry that have filtered down to me (and really... I'm not even watching).

It is one thing to rearrange the elements of the world to one's liking -- everyone should do it to some extent. Redecorating is, quite often, absolutely essential. It shouldn't be a way of life, however. Creating something new and distinctive -- that is real power. Not a lot of people know what to do with real power (they're much to en rapt by the glittering illusions offered up by fake power).

Whenever Gay people set their minds to making something of their own, for their own use, without the advice or the consent of any other people... the results are pretty much always breath-taking.

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2007, 02:49:36 AM »

Whenever Gay people set their minds to making something of their own, for their own use, without the advice or the consent of any other people... the results are pretty much always breath-taking.

There is a certain amount of genius in overcoming prejudice and oppression.  That same genius is put to other, more creative uses.

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2007, 01:47:13 PM »

Yup. And I'm a huge fan of pretty much every one of those other, more creative uses. There should be more of them.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up