FUFBUF

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: PROJECT: Compilation of Gay literary works  (Read 13111 times)

vanrozenheim

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • http://gayhomeland.org/
PROJECT: Compilation of Gay literary works
« on: July 27, 2007, 05:09:53 PM »

Quote from: "Rain"
I modestly propose a compilation of gay literary works spanning the breadth of written history.  Nothing exhaustive , but a random sampling throughout the ages.

Picking up this suggestion, we shall gather the Gay literary works in this thread. The intention is to compile all sorts of Gay literature which you think is valuable for historic or literary reasons.

Rules:

1) Please post the author, the title, and iformation about where the work can be found (ISBN, website address), copyright status.
2) Texts can be posted directly to this thread (in chapters, if it's very large). Otherwise please send good scans or photocopies to the Foundations address).
3) After the submission, the piece in question will be taken into the list and its text will be diditalized.
4) For a better overview, the "processed" posts will be subsequently moved to archive.
5) Textes in languages other than English may be also suggested, however, some translation arrangements would be helpfull.

Something more? Just say.  :wink:

List A: Copyright-free texts:

1. Pu Sung Ling: "Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio" [translation by John Minford], EXTRACT (ISBN-10: 0140447407; ISBN-13: 978-0140447408);

List B: Copyrighted texts:

1. James Baldwin: "Giovanni's Room", EXTRACT (to pe specified) (ISBN13: 9780141186351, ISBN10: 0141186356), [Rain];
2. Emanuel Xavier:  POETRY, (to pe specified), [Rain];

N.B.: A literary work is generally copyright-free, when its author is dead for more than 70 years.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine

Rain

• Guru
RE: PROJECT: Compilation of Gay literary works
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 08:41:35 PM »

Ah...and now, Van...what if the author is NOT dead?  Who handles the thorny issue getting permission to print?
Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 09:04:12 PM »

Oh and the dedication should read:

"This book is dedicated to the memory of Ronald W. Reagan, whose singular lack of compassion brought an entire culture to its knees and a whole generation to an early grave.  May history never repeat itself."
Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 09:52:08 PM »

Also...I think I'll get in touch with Manny (Emanuel) Xavier re: permission to include something of his.  Stay tuned.

vanrozenheim

• Administrator
  • Guru
Re: RE: PROJECT: Compilation of Gay literary works
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 03:37:15 AM »

Ah...and now, Van...what if the author is NOT dead?  Who handles the thorny issue getting permission to print?

Well, we should first ask politely for a non-exclusive copyright, possibly he/she will agree. If not, we put the piece in question into queue. Those works which can't be published by us, can be taken into a bibliography list.

For a good beginning, it would be good to know what textes are generally desired to be included. Then we should try to get the missing permissions by the authors.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine

Rain

• Guru
RE: Re: RE: PROJECT: Compilation of Gay literary works
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 10:24:47 PM »

Van...I have just received an email from Emanuel Xavier re: the project.  He's enthusiastically supporting it and would like me to forward his contact info.  Now...how do I go about doing that without posting it here?

Emanuel Xavier's personal site

Emanuel on Wikipedia

Suspect Thoughts Press

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 10:27:36 PM »

I'm not too sure about the security of putting up our private email addresses under our profile info here.  I would like to be accessible via email to everyone in the group, but right now the group is rather small here on GRD.  There's no telling what could happen over time.  And I'm not all that certain that this site is spam-proof.  

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 10:53:25 PM »

I'm making my first nomination for inclusion under 20th century, United States, gay, male, novel...an excerpt from James Baldwin's "Giovanni's Room".  Obviously, the entire book is not what I'm suggesting, but an excerpt.  You knew it was coming.  So, WHOOP, here it is.

List B: Copyrighted Texts

GIOVANNI'S ROOM
By James Baldwin.
248 pages
New York: Quality Paperback Book Club, 1984
from the 1956 original
ISBN # 0-965-041974

--OR--

Giovanni's Room
James Baldwin  
ISBN13: 9780141186351
ISBN10: 0141186356  

RRP: £7.99  
Availability: In stock, usually despatched within 24 hours.  
Publication Date: 04/10/2001  
Format: Paperback  
Publisher: PENGUIN GROUP  

It can be found here (Europe)

And here (United States)

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 11:41:21 PM »

Oh and while I'm at it...here's something Emanuel emailed me today.  

Legendary by E. Xavier remixed by DJ Michael Hades to Love is the Message

It's his poem "Legendary" remixed to "Love is the Message".  Emanuel, like myself, is a graduate of the Christopher Street piers and the voguing/gay ballroom culture that dominated it back in our day.  This poem is dedicated in many ways not only to the resistence and persistence of the gay lifestyle in general, but to the strength of all those homeless kids that risked life and sanity to strut on a catwalk and declare their gayness their way.  

The beat is an old disco anthem by MFSB, "Love is the Message".  This song is now considered both the disco and the gay ballroom national anthems.  No ball begins without the strains of "Love is the Message" pumping up the crowd to the coming spectacles.

Enjoy.  This queen's words always bring tears to my eyes.  Never mind that the song brings me to tears as it is when I remember all those friends now gone.  

The term "legendary" is a ballroom honorific given to someone who "slays" their category at the balls.

vanrozenheim

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 07:39:16 PM »

Van, you mentioned something about rules for the Literary Project...I think everyone needs to weigh in on this.  And I've made my first tentative submission (James Baldwin...Giovanni's Room, excerpt to follow).  Also please check that thread for further information already received from a supporting writer.

Gooood. Go ahead and don't get irritated if it takes me sometimes a couple of days longer to update the list - sometimes I'm simply too tired so must postpone things to the next day. I also think that it would be nice if everybody contributes a couple of suggestions. As for the rules.. they are flexible at GRD. If you desire a change of some suggested policy, just say so. :wink:  

Van...I have just received an email from Emanuel Xavier re: the project.  He's enthusiastically supporting it and would like me to forward his contact info.  Now...how do I go about doing that without posting it here?

That's GREATE. He can contact me via viktor.zimmermann@gayhomeland.org

Generally, I would suggest that you and Berto simply send me contact e-mails and I will interconnect you then via e-mail. Don't forget to include something meaningfull in the headline (like "Gay Literary Project").

vanrozenheim

• Administrator
  • Guru
Re: RE: Re: RE: PROJECT: Compilation of Gay literary works
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 08:01:35 PM »

Oh and while I'm at it...here's something Emanuel emailed me today.  

Legendary by E. Xavier remixed by DJ Michael Hades to Love is the Message

Broken link? Nothing found there...  :cry:

Rain

• Guru
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: PROJECT: Compilation of Gay literary wor
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 05:15:39 AM »

Guys try downloading that song from here.  Tell me if this link works.

Download it from this link

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 05:18:04 AM »

Also it would be useful to use this service to share files.  There is a size limit of 10MB per file uploaded on free accounts.

Box.net

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 05:27:23 AM »

That's GREATE. He can contact me via viktor.zimmermann@gayhomeland.org

I forwarded the email to you via my private verizon.net account.

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 05:51:26 AM »

Viktor, take a moment to introduce yourself to Emanuel and explain the project and goals of GHF/GRD.  You will find Emanuel an intelligent, thoughtful, helpful and intuitively progressive individual.  He's also very well connected within the art, music, poetry and literary circles.  In the past he has proven to be an invaluable resource as well as a source of strength, support and inspiration.

This is one boy worth knowing.

BTW...tell him Wari Shade sent you...LOL.  That's my scene/ballroom name.  He would be confused if you used my nickname "Rain" or my official name on my email address.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up