FUFBUF

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Readers recommend: songs about homosexuality  (Read 2627 times)

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Readers recommend: songs about homosexuality
« on: June 29, 2007, 06:22:05 PM »

Readers recommend: songs about homosexuality

I've tried to concentrate here on the song rather than the singer. Dusty Springfield's sexual preferences don't automatically make The Look of Love a gay song, any more than Suede's The Drowners stands or falls on who Brett Anderson slept with. Anyway, sexuality, as the openly gay yet fortunately un-typecast Michael Stipe has said, "is a really slippery thing".

That said, I've tried to avoid contested meanings, like whether or not the impotent husband in Freda Payne's Band of Gold is secretly gay. Also out: anything historically significant but musically negligible, whether it be Tom Robinson's clumpy, dated Glad to Be Gay or the Tornados' 1966 curio Do You Come Here Often?

So what does that leave?

Yeah, yeah, yeah... lots of words. There are plenty of thoughtful words in the article: go read it. Here's the list:

1 Jet Boy, Jet Girl, Elton Motello
2 Michael, Franz Ferdinand
3 Homosapien, Pete Shelley
4 Can You Forgive Her?, Pet Shop Boys
5 BD Woman's Blues, Lucille Bogan
6 Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover, Sophie B Hawkins
7 The Man That I Am With My Man, The Hidden Cameras
8 Breathing Fear, Kitchens of Distinction
9 What Makes a Man a Man, Marc Almond
10 I Was Born This Way, Carl Bean

The inclusion of "Breathing Fear" is brilliant, if I do say so myself. Not my favorite Kitchens of Distinction tune (that would be a tune called "Smiling," but that song would have little place on a list like this), but definitely worth digging up and giving ten or twelve listens.
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
Pages: [1]   Go Up