Global Gay Nation > Gay Identity - Queer as Volk?

The Science of Gaydar

<< < (7/7)

berto:
Nurture Vs Nature Heads To Court

--- Quote ---The issue over whether homosexuality is the result of nature or nurture is likely to be key in a wrongful dismissal suit brought by a former San Jose  City College professor who claims she was fired for advocating people chose to be gay.

The conservative Christian Alliance Defense Fund filed the suit this week on behalf of June Sheldon.

The lawsuit alleges that Sheldon was fired in February from her job as a biology professor when a student complained about her answer to a question about the impact of heredity on "homosexual behavior in males and females."

In her answer Sheldon referenced a German study claiming a link between homosexuality and maternal stress.

The student complained to college administrators that the answer was "offensive and unscientific," according to court documents filed this week.

[...]

In its lawsuit the Arizona-based ADF argues that Sheldon was properly providing students with information on the issue of nature versus nurture.

"The textbook itself points out that the causes of homosexual behavior are a subject of debate in the scientific community," ADF attorney David Hacker told the Mercury News. "This teacher did nothing more than explain this fact."
--- End quote ---

Feral:
Curious reporting there. I'm not too surprised.

The case is Sheldon v. Dhillon et al.

It's early yet. The defendents have yet to be heard.

I am puzzled by all these cryptic references to "a German scientist." They're all over the web on this topic. "A well-known German scientist" turns up as well. It's odd: Günter Dörner is both German and well-known (I had heard of him, at least) and his name appears repeatedly in Ms Sheldon's complaint. I have to wonder why his name is being so pervasively avoided.

Feral:

--- Quote ---The student complained to college administrators that the answer was "offensive and unscientific," according to court documents filed this week.

[...]

In its lawsuit the Arizona-based ADF argues that Sheldon was properly providing students with information on the issue of nature versus nurture.
--- End quote ---

Ah... why am I ever surprised that a case is not as reported in the press? Further perusal of the plaintiff's side of the equation turns up a wee bit more to the "student complaint" than a disagreement over the validity of Dörner's work. Several other statements were alleged to have been made, statements that I would readily agree were "offensive and unscientific." The plaintiff, however, denies having made them.

That particular tiff will, no doubt, be settled by evidence. It would be convenient if there were evidence.

The plaintiff's suit draws attention to a number of irregularities in this matter that really could amount to a violation of due process. That issue, too, will be settled by evidence.

It's an interesting case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version