FUFBUF

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Christopher Street turning fuddy-duddy?  (Read 22299 times)

Rain

• Guru
Is Christopher Street turning fuddy-duddy?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2007, 08:21:07 PM »

Quote from: "Kyleovision"
See, I find that to be an assimilationist attitude in itself. I am not a str8 fruit-picker or coal miner. I'm not a terribly beset Appalachian single mother.

My goals are, therefore, necessarily not coincident with those who are.

It depends on your vantage point.  From the vantage point of professors like Audre Lorde, Myrna Bain, and other black lesbians in New York teaching gay liberation classes to mostly inner-city LGBT students at the City University of New York, this is more than theory.  It is a very valid point of view that is not limited by our environment, but painfully reenforced by it on a daily basis.

Is it a surprise to anyone that class/race/gender issues should manifest themselves wihtin the LGBT community?  No, it is not.  What is a surprise is that gay people wouldn't take time to thoughtfully analyze not only the issues, but their actions.
Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

berto

• Guru
Re: Is Christopher Street turning fuddy-duddy?
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 01:39:17 PM »

The Importance of the West Village and those God-Damned Christopher Street Kids

I want to start this blog entry by prefacing that, yes, I realize the Christopher street kids are loud, that they loiter and yes, I feel for those residents plagued by the noise pollution, crowded and dirty sidewalks and youths running amok. I realize all of this and I sympathize with the problems and annoyances the residents of Christopher St. face regarding these children and their noise.

But I'd also like to say that I sympathize with the youth too. It's a fact- these mostly minority, almost all inner-city youths come to Christopher Street because for 40 years this street stands as the known place where one can be as openly gay as they are. Just take a look around. If you want to know where community pride is- look to these kids. Many of them unapologetically effeminate, the young fems hold the hands of their butchie partners and all of them are decked out in some form of rainbow attire. They're here, they're queer and they are on Christopher Street to be just that. There is no Christopher Street in Newark or The Bronx or Brooklyn or Queens- so is it any wonder these kids take hour-plus train rides, escaping their homelands to be here, on this small strip of a street?

Lots, lots more at the link...
"The dignity of an animal is measured by his capacity to revolt in the face of oppression." -- Mikhail Bakunin
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up