FUFBUF

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gay Comics, Cartoons, and Manga  (Read 24175 times)

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Gay Comics, Cartoons, and Manga
« on: September 11, 2006, 02:47:01 AM »

Fans of gay comics will probably enjoy Edge-Boston's republication of "Young Bottoms in Love," an anthology of gay-themed comics that is half a parody of and half a tribute to romance comics popular in the 50s and 60s. More of this series can be had here. Earlier volumnes of the comic were withdrawn from the internet when they were released for sale in book form. These are now fairly difficult to come by.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 06:54:08 AM by Feral »
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

vanrozenheim

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • http://gayhomeland.org/
RE: "Young Bottoms in Love"
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 10:02:18 PM »

Sweet collection. There are actually some more gay comics from Europe and USA, and of course lots of "boy love" stories from Japan ("Shonen-Ai" & "Yaoi"). I can recommend the works of Ralf König, Kazuma Kodaka, Maki Murakami, Marimo Ragawa, Hinako Takanaga.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Gay Comics
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 02:18:03 PM »

Comic rep denies policy to warn readers of gay heroes

Marvel Entertainment, Inc., is dismissing reports that the comic book company had a policy to carry warning labels on titles with leading gay characters, saying recent news stories about the warning being canceled were “taken out of context.”

“The best way to find this out is to go to the comic book store, and you will not see a warning label on any title with gay characters,” said Jeff Klein, executive vice president of Dan Klores Communication and spokesperson for Marvel.

Earlier this year, Joe Quesada, editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics, angered gay fans and activists when he stated that no ongoing solo series starring gay characters would go out without a warning label, according to the national Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, a media watchdog group.

But Klein said those accounts were based on inaccurate reports.

“On the record, Marvel never had warning labels on comic books with gay characters, and we never will,” he said.

Mr. Klein's statements are in direct contradiction to this earlier report:

MARVEL'S E-I-C SAYS 'NO' TO GLBT SOLO TITLES WITHOUT EXPLICIT CONTENT WARNING

Joe Quesada still says no ongoing solo series starring gay or lesbian characters at Marvel Comics without a MAX or "explicit content" label.

When asked to comment on this editorial decision this Saturday at Wizard World Chicago's "Cup o' Joe" panel, the House of Ideas' Editor-in-Chief apologized for the company's practice, and said that it originated from the amount of negative media attention Marvel recieved when the company decided to create a series in 2002 which focused on the western character Rawhide Kid and his sexuality.

Quesada used Stan Lee's appearance on Crossfire as an example, where the legendary creator was blasted by the show's guest, Andrea Lafferty of the Traditional Values Coalition, for his irresponsible use of a children's character.

"The last thing we want to do is have everybody come down on the entire comic book industry," Quesada said, going on to remind everyone of the pressure the industry was under after the publication of Frederick Wertham's Seduction of the Innocent in 1953, which cast a negative light on the supposed homosexuality of Batman, Robin, and Wonder Woman. "And I do think it is ridiculous."
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
RE: "Young Bottoms in Love"
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 05:41:15 AM »

I did not know this.

It seems all my favorite cartoonists have done YBIL.

And I've even seen this particular strip. Odd that I did not recognize the artist at the time.

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
You Don't Say -- Lesbian Comics
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 04:49:00 AM »

Kyleovision

• Administrator
Gay Comics
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 03:12:14 PM »

Mumbai (of all places) Newsline:

Many DC fans may not have heard of Batwoman, let alone know that she is going to re-emerge as a super dyke. Bruce Wayne’s relative is coming out of the closet with a bang—at 5’10’’, clad in red leather knee-high boots with spiked heels, flowing red hair, and a form-fitting black outfit. For those who don’t know, the original Batwoman strip started in 1956 and was killed off in 1979. The new character will share the same name as her original alter ego, Kathy Kane.

[...]

The unveiling of the new Batwoman is due to take place in July as part of an ongoing weekly series....
"That buzzing-noise means something. You don't get a buzzing-noise like that, just buzzing and buzzing, without its meaning something."

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Bat-dyke Returns
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 08:21:51 PM »

“It’s pretty acceptable to have a sexy powerful woman as a lesbian, where as Marvel’s attempt to introduce gay men as super heroes failed miserably,” says Vikram, coordinator of Gay Bombay and major comic buff. “Minor super heroes, like North Star, are part of the larger Justice League, but there has never been an established male gay super hero. So while Batwoman will cater to nerdy boys and butch lesbians, gay men have to make do with the hyper feminine boys of the YAWEE Manga genre.”

Regardless of what is being referred to by ths "YAWEE," I'm afraid this quoted comic buff needs to brush up on his manga. Sure -- there are more hyper-feminine lads than you can shake a stick at in some genres. Then there's that other stuff. His point is taken though -- Marvel's efforts in this area met with limited success.

berto

• Guru
Out 'n Proud at San Diego's Comic Con 2007
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 07:33:56 AM »

Did you know the author of 'Scooby Doo' is a 'mo?

Comic Con 2007 is adding a little color to its lineup of comic book heroes—in the flesh and otherwise—by again including Prism Comics, a nonprofit organization that supports LGBT publications, creators, and readers.

[...]

And while people may have not heard of Terrance Griep, known best as out pro wrestler "SpiderBaby," he is also one of Prism's featured authors, having penned both Scooby-Doo and Judo Girl. Other LGBT creators scheduled to attend include Steve MacIsaac, Megan Gedris, Tommy Roddy, and Sean McGrath.
"The dignity of an animal is measured by his capacity to revolt in the face of oppression." -- Mikhail Bakunin

Kyleovision

• Administrator
RE: Out
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 03:38:14 PM »

Little known fact: my best friend in HS was the nephew of Casey Kasem, the fellow who did the cartoon voice for Shaggy.
"That buzzing-noise means something. You don't get a buzzing-noise like that, just buzzing and buzzing, without its meaning something."

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 06:36:36 PM »

Prism Comics, a nonprofit organization that supports LGBT publications, creators, and readers

Mmmmmm. Prism Comics. I like gay comics.

berto

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 01:50:46 AM »

Homosexuality in Comics -- Part I

Welcome to the first installment of CBR's comprehensive look at homosexuality in comics. CBR News spoke with nine comics industry professionals about the portrayal of GLBT (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transsexual) characters and themes in comics, past and present.

Parts I and II will introduce the nine participants. Part I features Marc Andreyko, Lillian Diaz-Przbyl, Devin Grayson, Terrance Griep and Mark Millar, and part II introduces Allan Heinberg, Scott Lobdell, Alan Moore and Greg Rucka. In addition to biographical materials, each introductory segment will also include the participant's musings on their own comics work that features GLBT characters and themes.

Parts III and IV will be the article proper, in which the participants address a wide range of topics. In part III, the participants discuss the Comics Code, the stigma of comics as a children's medium, whether homosexuality is a lifestyle choice or a genetic predisposition, and the tendency for fictional GLBT characters to be defined by their sexuality. The topics for part IV include the "gay retcon," the participants' picks for well-informed portrayals of GLBT characters in comics, and the state of the union of homosexuality in comics.

Homosexuality in Comics -- Part II
"The dignity of an animal is measured by his capacity to revolt in the face of oppression." -- Mikhail Bakunin

berto

• Guru

berto

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 08:04:02 PM »

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 05:04:42 AM »

Varying sources report that the book Hero, by Perry Moore, was released either August 28th or September 1st of this year. Both dates having passed, the question is painfully academic. You can read another review of it here.

Then again, you can just buy the thing. It doesn't look half bad.

It might be worth noting that this is a novel, not a graphic novel. This hasn't stopped folks from plotting it's eventual debut on the silver screen. Some books just scream "film me" ...even before many people have had the opportunity to read it yet.

berto

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 06:20:43 PM »

Quote from: "Feral"
This hasn't stopped folks from plotting it's eventual debut on the silver screen. Some books just scream "film me" ...even before many people have had the opportunity to read it yet.

Good call, Fer...

Interview with “Hero” author Perry Moore

AE: Have you gotten any response from the comic book community?

PM: I think probably the biggest one has been Stan Lee, who wants to turn it into a movie. That’s pretty affirming for a legend like Stan who happens to be an older, straight white male to think that. It’s just a wonderful shot in the arm for the genre. That’s just such a validation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up