Global Gay Nation > Gay Identity - Queer as Volk?

Queer Music

(1/11) > >>

Feral:
To celebrate the publication of 200 issues, GCN has posted 12 mp3 files of Irish queer bands. They're free. Give a listen.

Feral:
Alt-rocker Bob Mould and electronica whiz Richard Morel join forces for a record that gets everyone's freak on

--- Quote ---Bob Mould first found renown as the singer-guitarist in punk trio Hüsker Dü, then fronting ’90s alt-rock faves Sugar. Richard Morel is a DJ-producer with A-list remix credits (New Order, Depeche Mode, Nelly Furtado). But putting either of these openly gay men in a neat little stylistic box? Impossible, especially after listening to the self-titled debut from their collaborative recording project, Blowoff.

The album kicks off with “Hormone Love,” a jolt of electric guitar and vocal harmonies reminiscent of ’60s acts like the Byrds, propelled by a sensual midtempo beat. From there, the dozen originals keep making twists and turns, moving through the slow and trippy “Lemonade” to the percolating “Saturday Night All the Time,” which layers husky singing over a low-slung, groovy melody that’s equal parts sinister and summery.
--- End quote ---

Now if, like me, you are quite old enough to know exactly what Hüsker Dü was, this is sufficient information. Otherwise, the Advocate's review of Blowoff is much longer.

Blowoff can be purchased direct from the artist here.

If you insist, you can purchase it from iTunes as well.

Should you demand to hear at least some of the record before you purchase it, Mr. Mould will oblige.

Feral:
While I wasn't paying attention, Peto moved cross-country and has joined Spoilsport. For fans of Spoilsport (and I most certainly am one), this is what you might call A Very Good Thing. For fans of Peto-A-Go-Go (and I'm one of those, too) this is also A Very Good Thing.

Think of it as putting frosting on Pop Tarts, chocolate milk on your cocoa puffs, candy sprinkles on Krispy Kremes.

Feral:
GLBT Label Music With a Twist Announces First Two Signed Artists

--- Quote ---Sony Music Label Group U.S. / Columbia Records and Wilderness Media & Entertainment, the gay media and entertainment portfolio company owned by LOGO founder Matt Farber, have announced the first two signed artists as well as two compilation CDs to be released by Music With A Twist, the first major record label dedicated to identifying and developing lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and transgender (LGBT) artists.

Music With A Twist's first two signed artists:

* The Gossip, a rock band based in Portland, Oregon, composed of lead singer Beth Ditto, guitarist Brace Paine, and drummer Hannah Blilie. Their music is raw, punk-inspired rebellious rock and roll, but with catchy hooks and the incredible power of Beth Ditto's unique lead vocals. The Gossip have developed a huge following based on years of touring, and recently landed the opening slot on the Scissor Sisters European tour.

* Kirsten Price is a talented new singer-songwriter musician, originally from the U.K. but now making her home in Brooklyn. She has a soulful voice that sounds like it comes from a smoky room late at night. Her songs are a creative fusion of rock, soul, and blues. She is equally adept at playing her songs on a piano or guitar.

Both of these artists will be recording their debut CDs to street in 2007.
--- End quote ---

vanrozenheim:
I'm gay and so are my mums

--- Quote ---DAN GILLESPIE, lead singer of THE FEELING, has come out of the closet in spectacular style.

And the group’s charismatic frontman has revealed he had a fascinating upbringing.

Dan explained: “I was brought up on the gay scene because my mum is gay and so is my uncle.

“I’ve been going to Pride marches since I was about four. We were a super right-on family.

“Not only did I have two lesbian mothers but my mum was in a wheelchair.

“We assumed the position of a kind of poster family for civil liberties organisations.

“There is a picture of me when I was six holding up a banner saying, ‘My mum’s a lesbian and I love her.’ It was at a Pride event and was used a lot in the newspapers.

“In the library at school there was a text book sociology students used that had the picture in it and a chapter on us.

“Most of the kids at school seemed to know I was gay a long time before I knew myself.

“I had a slightly effeminate air — and children are very intuitive, aren’t they? They spot things. It’s obvious, really. But none of my siblings are gay.”

Speaking of coming out, The Feeling’s single Love it When You Call is released on Monday — I think it’s got huge No1 potential.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version