FUFBUF

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Queer Music  (Read 35032 times)

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Queer Music
« on: September 10, 2006, 05:57:52 AM »

To celebrate the publication of 200 issues, GCN has posted 12 mp3 files of Irish queer bands. They're free. Give a listen.
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Big butch pop
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 06:17:15 AM »

Alt-rocker Bob Mould and electronica whiz Richard Morel join forces for a record that gets everyone's freak on

Bob Mould first found renown as the singer-guitarist in punk trio Hüsker Dü, then fronting ’90s alt-rock faves Sugar. Richard Morel is a DJ-producer with A-list remix credits (New Order, Depeche Mode, Nelly Furtado). But putting either of these openly gay men in a neat little stylistic box? Impossible, especially after listening to the self-titled debut from their collaborative recording project, Blowoff.

The album kicks off with “Hormone Love,” a jolt of electric guitar and vocal harmonies reminiscent of ’60s acts like the Byrds, propelled by a sensual midtempo beat. From there, the dozen originals keep making twists and turns, moving through the slow and trippy “Lemonade” to the percolating “Saturday Night All the Time,” which layers husky singing over a low-slung, groovy melody that’s equal parts sinister and summery.

Now if, like me, you are quite old enough to know exactly what Hüsker Dü was, this is sufficient information. Otherwise, the Advocate's review of Blowoff is much longer.

Blowoff can be purchased direct from the artist here.

If you insist, you can purchase it from iTunes as well.

Should you demand to hear at least some of the record before you purchase it, Mr. Mould will oblige.
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Spoilsport + Peto
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 12:41:11 PM »

While I wasn't paying attention, Peto moved cross-country and has joined Spoilsport. For fans of Spoilsport (and I most certainly am one), this is what you might call A Very Good Thing. For fans of Peto-A-Go-Go (and I'm one of those, too) this is also A Very Good Thing.

Think of it as putting frosting on Pop Tarts, chocolate milk on your cocoa puffs, candy sprinkles on Krispy Kremes.

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Music With a Twist Announces First Two Signed Artists
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 12:54:57 AM »

GLBT Label Music With a Twist Announces First Two Signed Artists

Sony Music Label Group U.S. / Columbia Records and Wilderness Media & Entertainment, the gay media and entertainment portfolio company owned by LOGO founder Matt Farber, have announced the first two signed artists as well as two compilation CDs to be released by Music With A Twist, the first major record label dedicated to identifying and developing lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and transgender (LGBT) artists.

Music With A Twist's first two signed artists:

* The Gossip, a rock band based in Portland, Oregon, composed of lead singer Beth Ditto, guitarist Brace Paine, and drummer Hannah Blilie. Their music is raw, punk-inspired rebellious rock and roll, but with catchy hooks and the incredible power of Beth Ditto's unique lead vocals. The Gossip have developed a huge following based on years of touring, and recently landed the opening slot on the Scissor Sisters European tour.

* Kirsten Price is a talented new singer-songwriter musician, originally from the U.K. but now making her home in Brooklyn. She has a soulful voice that sounds like it comes from a smoky room late at night. Her songs are a creative fusion of rock, soul, and blues. She is equally adept at playing her songs on a piano or guitar.

Both of these artists will be recording their debut CDs to street in 2007.

vanrozenheim

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • http://gayhomeland.org/
Music: "I'm gay and so are my mums"
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 06:10:27 PM »

I'm gay and so are my mums

DAN GILLESPIE, lead singer of THE FEELING, has come out of the closet in spectacular style.

And the group’s charismatic frontman has revealed he had a fascinating upbringing.

Dan explained: “I was brought up on the gay scene because my mum is gay and so is my uncle.

“I’ve been going to Pride marches since I was about four. We were a super right-on family.

“Not only did I have two lesbian mothers but my mum was in a wheelchair.

“We assumed the position of a kind of poster family for civil liberties organisations.

“There is a picture of me when I was six holding up a banner saying, ‘My mum’s a lesbian and I love her.’ It was at a Pride event and was used a lot in the newspapers.

“In the library at school there was a text book sociology students used that had the picture in it and a chapter on us.

“Most of the kids at school seemed to know I was gay a long time before I knew myself.

“I had a slightly effeminate air — and children are very intuitive, aren’t they? They spot things. It’s obvious, really. But none of my siblings are gay.”

Speaking of coming out, The Feeling’s single Love it When You Call is released on Monday — I think it’s got huge No1 potential.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Queer Music
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 03:23:05 AM »

How odd it is that whenever someone dares to say that they are gay, some tabloid insists that they have "come out of the closet." Dan Gillespie-Sells has said so before, just not to the Sun, I guess. Some reports have it that it would be rather difficult for Mr. Gillespie-Sells to come out at all, since he was never really "in".

In any case, The Feeling has a website and a MySpace page (what band doesn't these days?) should anyone care to hear them. It's pop... very old-fashioned, classic pop that might just get a lot of radio play.

Me... I'll wait for the house remix.

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
RE: Queer Music
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 03:16:08 AM »

Quote from: "Feral"
Jay Brannon has two new tunes out. Both are featured on his web site, or you can watch them at YouTube here and here.

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 03:16:30 AM »

Quote from: "'berto"
BTW, have you ever heard of Kids on TV?

They are Canadian, unabashedly queer, and apparently have a propensity to get nekkid on-stage.

Apparently they were just playing a CBC-sponsored concert the other night on the east coast, got nekkid and did "unmentionable things" on top of the CBC logo in the studio. LOL :D I laffed when I heard that! :D

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 03:16:52 AM »

I had not, actually. Thanks for mentioning them. Experimental Punk Disco House Techno sounds just about right.

And a propensity for getting nekkid can't hurt.

http://www.kidsontv.biz/
http://www.myspace.com/kidsontv

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 03:17:13 AM »

LOL. I liked the hankie code. :D

(Hmmm... you've gotta click into the website first before you can see it though, I guess... the URL above doesn't take you directly to it.)

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 03:17:40 AM »

LOL

I remember that one. It's a re-invention of it though, not the original code from the 70s.

A benefit of Mozilla is that it will let you escape frames like that.

http://kidwithcamera.com/friends/kotv%2Dfinal/hankycode/content.html

PS... John Caffery, the bass player for KOTV, has a cameo in "Shortbus." I'm being stalked by musicians that appeared in "Shortbus."

Not that that's a BAD thing.

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 03:17:59 AM »

Jay Brannon has two new tunes out.

Our boy has done it again.  :)  New YouTubage. Jay's profile now has five clips in it. One of the new ones, "Soda Shop," appeared in the film Shortbus and is already starting to generate cover-versions.

Somebody needs to sign this boy up to a label.

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 03:18:19 AM »

Just ran across a good one. You might know it already, but it was new to me...

Glad to be Gay

Tom Robinson

The British Police are the best in the world

I don't believe one of these stories I've heard

'Bout them raiding our pubs for no reason at all

Lining the customers up by the wall

Picking out people and knocking them down

Resisting arrest as they're kicked on the ground

Searching their houses and calling them queer

I don't believe that sort of thing happens here

Sing if you're glad to be gay

Sing if you're happy that way

Pictures of naked young women are fun

In Titbits and Playboy, page three of The Sun

There's no nudes in Gay News our last magazine

But they still find excuses to call it obscene

Read how disgusting we are in the press

The Telegraph, People and Sunday Express

Molesters of children, corruptors of youth

It's there in the paper, it must be the truth

Don't try to kid us that if you're discreet

You're perfectly safe as you walk down the street

You don't have to mince or make bitchy remarks

To get beaten unconscious and left in the dark

I had a friend who was gentle and short

He was lonely one evening and went for a walk

Queerbashers caught him and kicked in his teeth

He was only hospitalised for a week

And sit back and watch as they close all our clubs

Arrest us for meeting and raid all our pubs

Make sure your boyfriend's at least 21

So only your friends and your brothers get done

Lie to your workmates, lie to your folks

Put down the queens and tell anti-queer jokes

Gay Lib's ridiculous, join their laughter

'The buggers are legal now, what more are they after?'

Get your own copy...

(Just enter the 3-numbers at the bottom, click submit, it'll make you wait 31 seconds, then click on the green "Download File Now!" button to download it). :)

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 03:19:57 AM »

Quote from: "vanrozenheim"
Just ran across a good one. You might know it already, but it was new to me...

New to me as well.  

The homepage of the old band: http://www.tomrobinson.com/trb/index.htm.

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 03:20:23 AM »

Well then, I'm glad I posted it. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up