FUFBUF

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gay Press  (Read 15825 times)

berto

• Guru
RE: Re: Mo magazine
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 02:13:13 AM »

Maybe we could get Rain to post naughty pictures of himself. ;)  :P
"The dignity of an animal is measured by his capacity to revolt in the face of oppression." -- Mikhail Bakunin

vanrozenheim

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • http://gayhomeland.org/
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 02:18:57 AM »

Yeah... Pleeeaaaseeeee! =)) But I know there is also an awesome pic of KT as a samurai - Yummy! :)
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Re: Mo magazine
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 02:19:38 AM »

Quote from: "vanrozenheim"
The 30-year-plus ones are probably somewhat cheaper, you must understand this is a new magazine. =)) As for example, the GRD can't afford even this luxury.  :(

HA! We can easily afford an assortment of 30- and 40-somethings! It's not like I don't have a camera. ;) I just seriously question the advisability of "ornamenting" our pages with the 40-somethings I have at my disposal. I think such images might have a negative effect.
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Mo magazine
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 02:27:07 AM »

The Seattle Times has an article as well.

Lehman was at brunch one day when he saw two heterosexual couples pass by a rack holding his magazine. One of the men picked up a copy and became engrossed in its pages, ignoring his companions.

"It's nice to know we weren't doing anything to close ourselves off to anyone who didn't directly relate to our community," Lehman said.

But then he wondered: "Maybe we're not gay enough!"

This is possible... I renew my objections about the exclusion of the 20-somethings in their undies (or less).

Then again, the 'zine features articles on "gay power couples and how couples deal with jealousy in their relationships. Arts reviews and columns on investments, pets, travel, health and fitness. Profiles of local businesses and leaders in the gay community."

The health and fitness articles alone are more than adequate  for basic maintenance of a straight (male) audience. Really -- those gym bunnies know more than a thing or two about fitness. Here again, I should point out that 20-somethings in gym shorts and a film of baby oil are rather standard illustrations for such articles.
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

vanrozenheim

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 02:31:15 AM »

=)) OK, OK -- it is for a reason why GRD doesn't decorate its sites with nude staff pictures -- we have a reputation to loose (or was it "too loose"? Curse English grammar!).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 02:45:08 AM »

English grammar (at least the US version) has already been well and mightily cursed by thirteen generations of schoolboys. I think the British lads have made a fair effort with their own maledictions for somewhat longer.

While we might not lose our reputations entirely, surely nude staff pictures would add nothing positive to the site. Nope. Nothing positive at all. We wish to increase readership, after all.

Rain

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 06:01:50 AM »

I was going to suggest we all post naked pictures of ourselves and then someone went ahead and volunteered me.  LOL.  Actually, I don't have a problem being nude.  My bf, on the other hand...well...that's another story.  

I've been trying to get him out to Sandy Hook, a local nude beach, for the past few summers.  

He's got body issues.
Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

berto

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 01:53:04 PM »

With killer abs like yours Rain, of *course* you don't mind being nude. ;)

Well, and you've got some other rather tasty bits, too... :P
"The dignity of an animal is measured by his capacity to revolt in the face of oppression." -- Mikhail Bakunin

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Gay Press
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 02:22:17 PM »

For Gay Press, 'Good Old Days' Are Here

NEW YORK For gay newspaper publishers, the good old days are now. "Compared to 23 years ago?" Publisher Tracy Baim says with a laugh, referring to the year the weekly Windy City Times was founded in Chicago. "I think it's a great time to be in gay publishing. It's so much easier than it was even 10 years ago to pitch to mainstream businesses"

Indeed, according to the Gay Press Report, advertising spending in publications, about half of them weekly newspapers targeting the so-called GLBT (gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered) audience, increased 205% between 1996 and 2006. Last year's ad revenues of $223.3 million represented an increase of 5.2% over the year before -- a period during which print and online ad spending on daily newspapers was essentially flat.

In 1994, just 19 Fortune 500 brands advertised in the gay press. Last year, 183 did.

"In this market, people did have a dollar and a dream," says Todd Evans, president and CEO of Rivendell Media Inc., a gay media rep firm that produces the Gay Press Report with the ad agency Prime Access Inc. "You had a lot of people who were more about the cause than the business, and unfortunately you have to pay attention to business, too."

Ah, yes... "more about the cause than the business." I've seen that in a number of fields. I've been known to call such creatures "lifestylers." It's all about the lifestyle with them -- they don't so much want to run a newspaper (or a restaurant or a shop or a factory)... they want to be seen to be running a newspaper. Thus they end up being nothing more than a packet of meaningless appearances and have no substance at all.

The Gay people would be well-served by any number of Gay-owned businesses. We are not served at all by the mere appearance of such things.

vanrozenheim

• Administrator
  • Guru
RE: For Gay Press,
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 07:15:42 PM »

Yes-yes, we could and should be so much more than what we actually are... There are so many things which Gay people urgently need, one does not know where to start. Probably it would be best if those wealthy and gifted individuals who use to work for straight press, or do own some, would turn towards Gay journalism and publishing. With few exceptions, so far they have choosen not to do so - as regrettable as it is.
:read:

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Re: Gay Press
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 12:15:49 PM »

Gay channel Logo launches weekly newscast

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - Gay-lesbian network Logo is moving into the network news business, planning to televise a half-hour weekly newscast produced by CBS News.

"CBS News on Logo" will premiere next Monday at 7 p.m. EST. The newscast stems from a two-year partnership between the MTV Networks channel and CBS News. A dedicated CBS News crew working out of its West 57th Street broadcast center had been producing three-minute interstitials that aired daily on Logo.

Those interstitials will be replaced by the half-hour newscast.

The new show will focus on gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues including the 2008 election, HIV/AIDs and entertainment, sports and science news. The newscast will be available on Logo as well as streamed at 365gay.com, a Logo-owned Website.

Oh dear.

I can't imagine what they were thinking. Fluffing those interstitials into a half-hour weekly? Oy.

I guess Jason Bellini's videoblog is doing better than I had imagined.

There is a bright side to this -- the Gay "print" media can rejoice... and, it certainly looks like viewers of Logo will soon be spared those dreadful 30-second spots featuring news from three days ago.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:17:34 PM by Feral »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up