FUFBUF

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gay Press  (Read 15826 times)

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Gay Press
« on: March 02, 2007, 06:38:23 PM »

Sonoma gay paper folds

After 18 years of publication, We the People , Sonoma County's GLBT newspaper, is calling it quits.

The publication's editor, Gary Carnivele, said the nonprofit community-owned corporation that publishes the newspaper will now focus its attention on producing a Web site, gaysonoma.com.

Founded in 1988 by Sandy Lowe and a handful of LGBT activists, We the People was published by the Redwood Empire Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Education Project. It was a free monthly, distributed primarily in Sonoma, Marin and Mendocino counties. In its early years it provided a platform for the rise of LGBT and AIDS activism in Sonoma County.
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Vizier

• Administrator
    • http://www.thelastbaron.com
RE: Sonoma gay paper folds
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 04:55:25 PM »

Look for many more of these messages to com in the future. The gay press world wide seems to be experiencing financial problems brought on by a changing global, political and financial climate, to say nothing of the intense competition from electronic media...
izier - a yummy person!

Kyleovision

• Administrator
RE: Sonoma gay paper folds
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 11:25:03 PM »

The internet menace is what has the entire media industry-- not just the gay bits-- beside itself with fear. In the next 10 years, expect to see a wholesale restructuring of the so-called MSM.
"That buzzing-noise means something. You don't get a buzzing-noise like that, just buzzing and buzzing, without its meaning something."

vanrozenheim

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • http://gayhomeland.org/
Re: RE: Sonoma gay paper folds
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »

Quote from: "Kyleovision"
a wholesale restructuring of the so-called MSM.

I am confused... MSM?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine

berto

• Guru
Sonoma gay paper folds
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 02:01:50 PM »

Main-Stream Media, sweety. :)
"The dignity of an animal is measured by his capacity to revolt in the face of oppression." -- Mikhail Bakunin

vanrozenheim

• Administrator
  • Guru
Sonoma gay paper folds
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 02:36:26 PM »

Quote from: "'berto"
Main-Stream Media, sweety. :)

Ah, those things. I call them MMDI = Means of Mass-Des-Information.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Sonoma gay paper folds
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 05:27:23 PM »

I swear... every time I see that acronym (every single time) I read Men who have Sex with Men. The confusion renders the discussions containing them deliciously absurd.

"In the next 10 years, expect to see a wholesale restructuring of the so-called men who have sex with men."

This is probably a true statement also ;)
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Kyleovision

• Administrator
Sonoma gay paper folds
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 10:20:28 PM »

Why do I feel as if, at any moment, the GHF commandos will start dropping out of trees and take me off for trial because of what I used to do for a living?

It ain't easy bein' Eichmann. :P
"That buzzing-noise means something. You don't get a buzzing-noise like that, just buzzing and buzzing, without its meaning something."

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Sonoma gay paper folds
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 03:54:58 AM »

Because you are paranoid, Dear. :wink:  The GHF has no commandos. If it did, they would not trouble themselves over news producers.

Vizier

• Administrator
Amazement
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 09:56:04 PM »

Quote from: "Kyleovision"
Why do I feel as if, at any moment, the GHF commandos will start dropping out of trees and take me off for trial because of what I used to do for a living?

So what did you "used to do"? Were you a journalist (as I was)? We can get over that... it just takes about a decade or two...

Loved your Eichmann line. My father was an officer in the German army during WWII. He was drafted, served at the Russian front, worked his way up to tank commander. He was incredibly lucky in that he walked home from Stalingrad to Berlin and was not picked up or shot by the Russians.

As a teenager, I often wondered if I really did know everything he had done during the war, since he rarely and only very reluctantly talked about it. I often wondered if some day some people would show up and say he had really been something completely different, a prison guard like Barbie and others or something equally heinous, and if my life as a result would be ruined.

It turned out that he told us the truth, he was who he said he was and little more was to be discovered, but I wasn't able to really reconfirm this until I moved back to Germany, where I was able to more easily do the research I needed to.

The result of the research and finding out that my life has thus far been based on truth rather than lies has been the belated realization of just how lucky my father was. Many, many German soldiers who were never members of the NSDAP or followers of Hitler and his demagogues were captured in Stalingrad and elsewhere on both fronts. Those taken by the Russians - as my father could have been - were almost all universally sent to Siberia for years in gulags. (Several uncles experienced this fate.) Many died there, others did not see their homes until the late 1950s, by which time many of their wives had had them declared dead and had remarried and founded new families with others.

The fact that he got home from Berlin unscathed, even though it apparently took about a month of walking and hitching rides wherever he and a buddy could, still amazes me. The fact that he probably saved himself by throwing his officer's coat and uniform and medals into th Elbe in what today is the Czech Republic is also amazing to me.

As I get old(er), I am more amazed by the past than the present and find there's still plenty left to learn from it.
izier - a yummy person!

Vizier

• Administrator
Sonoma gay paper folds
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 09:58:16 PM »

Quote from: "Feral"
Because you are paranoid, Dear. :wink:  The GHF has no commandos. If it did, they would not trouble themselves over news producers.

Not yet. As one of the leading Generals of our future Gay Republic, I am sure we will have them. I am personally also working on a few devious new weapons such as the "Pink Bomb," which will give us the authority we will need to let those other countries know we mean business, even if our some of our commandos do wear boas.
izier - a yummy person!

berto

• Guru
Sonoma gay paper folds
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 01:44:33 PM »

... even if our some of our commandos do wear boas.

LOL... and not even that scary boa constrictor type...
"The dignity of an animal is measured by his capacity to revolt in the face of oppression." -- Mikhail Bakunin

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Gay Press
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 08:18:11 AM »

Report: Gay media grows faster than mainstream

CHICAGO (MarketWatch) -- Ad revenue at gay and lesbian publications continues to grow faster than in the mainstream press -- expanding at almost three times the mainstream rate over the last decade -- according to a new report.

Total ad spending in gay- and lesbian-oriented publications hit a record $223.3 million last year, up 5.2% from 2005 and better than triple the 1996 figure, according to the Gay Press Report, an annual survey produced by ad agency Prime Access Inc. and gay media representative firm Rivendell Media.

Over the past 10 years, ad revenue for all consumer magazines grew at a compound annual rate of 4% versus an 11.8% pace for gay-targeted media.

... And a quick editorial note for those peculiar people who criticize GLAAD's media awards for not including Gay media -- "mainstream" means "not Gay," as in "straight."

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Gay Press
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 01:58:44 AM »

Towleroad tells us that Seattle has a new 'mo magazine -- thoughtfully named " 'Mo ". The 'zine has a web site, but the online version isn't quite there yet. Says the editor,

"We're not a bar mag. ... You're not going to see a lot of 20-year-old men in their underwear. We're both 40-something gay men, so the magazine probably hangs out at the 30-plus-year-old range. And we've gotten great feedback about that. People like to look for themselves... "

Hmmm. That they do. There is, however, much to be said for "a lot of 20-year-old men in their underwear" (or not in their underwear, as the case may be). They should reconsider. ;)

vanrozenheim

• Administrator
  • Guru
Re: Mo magazine
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 02:10:37 AM »

Quote from: "Feral"
There is, however, much to be said for "a lot of 20-year-old men in their underwear" (or not in their underwear, as the case may be). They should reconsider. ;)

The 30-year-plus ones are probably somewhat cheaper, you must understand this is a new magazine. =)) As for example, the GRD can't afford even this luxury.  :(
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up