Global Gay Nation > Gay Identity - Queer as Volk?

Gay Press

<< < (2/6) > >>

vanrozenheim:

--- Quote from: "'berto" ---Main-Stream Media, sweety. :)
--- End quote ---

Ah, those things. I call them MMDI = Means of Mass-Des-Information.

Feral:
I swear... every time I see that acronym (every single time) I read Men who have Sex with Men. The confusion renders the discussions containing them deliciously absurd.

"In the next 10 years, expect to see a wholesale restructuring of the so-called men who have sex with men."

This is probably a true statement also ;)

Kyleovision:
Why do I feel as if, at any moment, the GHF commandos will start dropping out of trees and take me off for trial because of what I used to do for a living?

It ain't easy bein' Eichmann. :P

Feral:
Because you are paranoid, Dear. :wink:  The GHF has no commandos. If it did, they would not trouble themselves over news producers.

Vizier:

--- Quote from: "Kyleovision" ---Why do I feel as if, at any moment, the GHF commandos will start dropping out of trees and take me off for trial because of what I used to do for a living?
--- End quote ---

So what did you "used to do"? Were you a journalist (as I was)? We can get over that... it just takes about a decade or two...

Loved your Eichmann line. My father was an officer in the German army during WWII. He was drafted, served at the Russian front, worked his way up to tank commander. He was incredibly lucky in that he walked home from Stalingrad to Berlin and was not picked up or shot by the Russians.

As a teenager, I often wondered if I really did know everything he had done during the war, since he rarely and only very reluctantly talked about it. I often wondered if some day some people would show up and say he had really been something completely different, a prison guard like Barbie and others or something equally heinous, and if my life as a result would be ruined.

It turned out that he told us the truth, he was who he said he was and little more was to be discovered, but I wasn't able to really reconfirm this until I moved back to Germany, where I was able to more easily do the research I needed to.

The result of the research and finding out that my life has thus far been based on truth rather than lies has been the belated realization of just how lucky my father was. Many, many German soldiers who were never members of the NSDAP or followers of Hitler and his demagogues were captured in Stalingrad and elsewhere on both fronts. Those taken by the Russians - as my father could have been - were almost all universally sent to Siberia for years in gulags. (Several uncles experienced this fate.) Many died there, others did not see their homes until the late 1950s, by which time many of their wives had had them declared dead and had remarried and founded new families with others.

The fact that he got home from Berlin unscathed, even though it apparently took about a month of walking and hitching rides wherever he and a buddy could, still amazes me. The fact that he probably saved himself by throwing his officer's coat and uniform and medals into th Elbe in what today is the Czech Republic is also amazing to me.

As I get old(er), I am more amazed by the past than the present and find there's still plenty left to learn from it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version