FUFBUF

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gay Chamber of Commerce  (Read 5485 times)

vanrozenheim

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • http://gayhomeland.org/
Gay Chamber of Commerce
« on: February 27, 2007, 08:30:11 AM »

North Texas gay chamber registers American Airlines as 1st ‘Platinum Member’

The North Texas GLBT Chamber of Commerce has recruited American Airlines as its first Platinum Corporate Member.

“We are very pleased to have such a dynamic company return as a corporate member of the chamber and become our first corporate member at the Platinum level,” said Sherry Briggs, president of the group. “American Airlines membership is essential to the chamber’s mission to empower, promote and support the economic development of the North Texas GLBT community and its supporters.”

American Airlines has been named the official airline of the North Texas GLBT Chamber of Commerce, and it will be the presenting sponsor of the chamber’s second anniversary dinner on March 12.

Betty Young, American Airlines’ national sales and marketing manager for the GLBT community, said the corporation is the official airline for many gay organizations, but the association with the Dallas group marks a special honor because it involves the airline’s hometown.

Those "Gay and Lesbian Chambers of Commerce" seem to be established in every US-town with more than 50 thousand inhabitants... There is even a "National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce" in the USA, with "national" the fellows of course mean US-American. :roll: The phenomenon is not entirely clear to me: what do those folks actually have in mind?

This seems to be a peculiar blend of Gay Nationalism and US-American Nationalism. On the one side, the Chambers are supposed to unite LGBT enterprises under their roof (assumingly in the opposition to "normal" chambers), on the other hand they are actually very assimilationist in their strategy. Or does "Gay Chamber of Commerce" mean those are businesses united to stripe the gays of their money most effectively?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine

berto

• Guru
Gay Chamber of Commerce
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 10:24:18 AM »

Well, V, you have to keep in mid that there is a certain amount of Yankee arrogance and navel-gazing when many of them use the term "National" in the name of an organization. Take the "National Hockey League", for instance, which has *always* had within it Canadian teams. Then there's MLB, which also has a Canadian team, but the two MLB teams are called "the American League" and the National League" -- I'm not sure which one the Blue Jays are in, 'coz watching baseball is about as appealing to me as watching paint dry.

So, why should a so-called "National" queer chamber of commerce be any different?
"The dignity of an animal is measured by his capacity to revolt in the face of oppression." -- Mikhail Bakunin

vanrozenheim

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • http://gayhomeland.org/
Gay Chamber of Commerce
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 12:38:40 PM »

Quote from: "'berto"
Well, V, you have to keep in mid that there is a certain amount of Yankee arrogance and navel-gazing when many of them use the term "National" in the name of an organization.

Oh, I am not at all unfamiliar with the use of such attributes! I remember the attribute "All-Union-" from my Soviet times, and the "Reichs-" attitude is still very present in Germany as well.  What I was thinking of, is rather the inconsequence in the definition of "national": for any good Gay Nationalist, this term could impossibly be applied to any local gay organization.  :wink:
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Gay Chamber of Commerce
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 06:39:09 PM »

Quote from: "vanrozenheim"
Those "Gay and Lesbian Chambers of Commerce" seem to be established in every US-town with more than 50 thousand inhabitants... There is even a "National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce" in the USA, with "national" the fellows of course mean US-American. :roll: The phenomenon is not entirely clear to me: what do those folks actually have in mind?

This seems to be a peculiar blend of Gay Nationalism and US-American Nationalism. On the one side, the Chambers are supposed to unite LGBT enterprises under their roof (assumingly in the opposition to "normal" chambers), on the other hand they are actually very assimilationist in their strategy. Or does "Gay Chamber of Commerce" mean those are businesses united to stripe the gays of their money most effectively?

In fairness to the "North Texas GLBT Chamber of Commerce," they do not lay claims to "national" anything. They don't even wish to lay claim to all of Texas. What such such organizations generally have in mind is the promotion of their own collective interests -- business interests. Collectively they are able to marshal greater advertising campaigns. They might also imagine that collectively they might have greater political influence, though I have not observed this to be the case. Some of the terminology might resemble nationalism of some flavor or another, but they are essentially very weak merchant associations. I've only had the 'pleasure' of witnessing two meetings of chambers of commerce; the entire enterprise looked a whole lot like a fine veneer of social and corporate respectability wrapped around an excuse for a dinner party.

Such associations undertaken by GLBT businesses of course CAN be remarkably assimilationist; after all, these businesses exist within the matrix of the greater culture. The self-promotion that such chambers of commerce usually do is more usually aimed at the gay market than the general population. If you wish to secure the services of a gay or lesbian plumber, it is most likely a gay chamber of commerce ad that will lead you to him or her, and that ad will have been crafted to secure gay custom, not the patronage of the populace at large. In the end, these ARE businesses united to strip the gays of their money most effectively.

Politically, they are worth paying attention to, especially the larger ones. They are of a sort with the semi-mysterious non-profit organizations that have so effectively seized absolute control of the majority of Pride (TM) Parades around the world. They may even be the same people. There are "powers-that-be" in the gay community who are not the alphabet-soup lobbyists or the ivory tower academics.
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Vizier

• Administrator
    • http://www.thelastbaron.com
Gay Chamber of Commerce
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 05:33:46 PM »

Quote from: "vanrozenheim"
...and the "Reichs-" attitude is still very much present in Germany as well...

I'll second that!  I went away 20 years ago and everything is so radically different it necessitates a daily learning experience. my family name is the stub of a very long title discarded by my grandfather when Hitler came to power in 1933 (out of shame at what the Germans did by electing the Austrian). In the early 1960s he spent several million Marks on an unsuccessful attempt to try to regain that same title, which was turned down by the Deutscher Herold (akin to Debretts) as anything to do with nobility or perceived privilege was no-no then....

Had the old man lived longer and been here now, we'd not only have the title back, we'd probably have gotten back alot of the land we lost in the East which I have been unable to reclaim. And my title would make a huge difference with the current "Reichs" mentality found everywhere here... every second jerk on TV has a long "von" name and people swoon when they hear them...  

I'd love to have people swoon and curtsy when they meet me.
izier - a yummy person!

Pages: [1]   Go Up