FUFBUF

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Films To Watch For  (Read 18491 times)

Vizier

• Administrator
    • http://www.thelastbaron.com
Films to watch for
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 05:24:03 PM »

Quote from: "berto"
I am still hoping to find a copy of Torch Song Trilogy. No luck on the 'net (so far)... Maybe once I move back to the city...

Berto, e-mail me at my real e-mail address:  SchwulerVizier -at- Yahoo.de. I may be able to help you in your search. - Peter
izier - a yummy person!

Rain

• Guru
Films to watch for
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 11:40:43 PM »

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

berto

• Guru
Films to watch for
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 04:19:47 PM »

Quote from: "Vizier"
Berto, e-mail me at my real e-mail address:  SchwulerVizier -at- Yahoo.de. I may be able to help you in your search. - Peter

Oh, hey... I just noticed this. Thank you, Peter... I will write to you soon. :)
"The dignity of an animal is measured by his capacity to revolt in the face of oppression." -- Mikhail Bakunin

berto

• Guru
Films to watch for
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 02:29:43 PM »

Eytan Fox has not simply witnessed a radical, queer-friendly shift within his home country of Israel in the last decade; many credit Fox's films themselves with a large part of the change.

The celebrated gay director and writer's new film The Bubble pushes boundaries even further by not only examining gay life in Tel Aviv, but also taking on what may well be considered an even more shocking stigma: the love between two men, one Israeli, one Palestinian, in a country where a century of hatred —rooted in sovereign territory rights —deeply divides the two lands.

*click*
"The dignity of an animal is measured by his capacity to revolt in the face of oppression." -- Mikhail Bakunin

Rain

• Guru
Films to watch for
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 11:06:13 PM »

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Rain

• Guru
Films to watch for
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 11:37:26 PM »

Coming soon to an indy film festival near you...I intend to go see this one next month at the Brooklyn Academy of Music's showing.

Documentary:  The Godfather of Disco

Rain

• Guru
Films to watch for
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 08:48:14 AM »

Two epochal bookends:

The Boys in The Band and Randy Shilts' And the Band Played On.

A set that encapsulates the beginning and the end of the gay liberation movement's golden age of innocence.

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Films to watch for
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2007, 04:57:55 AM »

Breakfast With Scot premieres tomorrow at Toronto Film Fest

Well here's some unexpected news: Although it wasn't part of the originally announced lineup, long-awaited (for us, anyway!) gay sports dramedy Breakfast With Scot will make its premiere tomorrow night at the Toronto Film Festival. Considering that the fest has quickly become one of the hottest markets for new films, this is great news.

Those who remember my posts on this film in some other place (now wafted off into Neverland by the Interweb pixies) may recollect that this movie managed to spawn some small amount of controversy just being made at all.
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

berto

• Guru
Small town gay bar
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2007, 02:48:02 PM »

Toronto bartender Loriane Garrison comments about life in The Big City, as compared to life in A Small Town...

It was like a scene out of Small Town Gay Bar, the Kevin Smith-financed documentary about life in small communities in the US South. Or maybe not that bad, I don't know. The film won't be shown in Ottawa until October, as part of the return of queer film festival programming Toronto's Inside Out is bringing us.

Now, a year later, having moved to the big city, I still encounter — as I'm sure all of us do, from time to time — some forms of ignorance or prejudice, but it's a far cry from what I'm used to.

[...]

Here in Ottawa — and Toronto and Vancouver and all the other major queer hotspots of the nation — we are more fortunate than we realize. Recently, I heard someone complain about the lack of night life in Ottawa for queers. I looked at them and laughed. There are gay bars and bathhouses and queer bookstores and Pride parties and restaurants which proudly display the rainbow flag on their windows. Back where I'm from, there wasn't even a queer department at my college — I guess, like the rest of the town, the school just assumed all its students were straight. Rainbows were for kids in kindergarten and the only thing queer about the community was how a small pocket of the 1950s had managed to survive untouched into 2007. Really, we were only queer — really, really, really queer, without worrying about being outed or what other people thought or would say — that one Saturday a month, up on the top floor of the Bohemian Penguin, drinking cocktails and listening to really, really bad dance music.

Want to imagine being gay in a small town? Smoke a joint, crack a beer, and sit down and watch an episode of I Love Lucy. Do absolutely nothing different, only assume Lucy and Ethel are secretly lesbian lovers. Now think about what would happen, based on the characters in the show, if it were discovered. It's an extreme example, and probably not quite that bad in reality, but that's how it feels. And if that's the way something feels then that's the way it might as well be. Now that you've got the picture, you can come back to the present age and be thankful you live where you do. There's nothing more alienating than being somewhere, where you're here, you're queer — and no one is used to it.

Rain

• Guru
Films to watch for
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2007, 11:53:08 PM »

Cruising

It caused a huge controversy when it opened here.  I wondered what all the fuss was about as a kid.  A few years later, I was wandering around looking for my own kinda gayness on those same streets.

Rain

• Guru
Re: Films To Watch For
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2007, 07:58:02 AM »

New documentary:

For the Bible Tells Me So

For the cream pie footage go HERE.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up