FUFBUF

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Films To Watch For  (Read 18487 times)

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Films To Watch For
« on: November 13, 2006, 05:09:49 AM »

Some shameless lobbying from PageOneQ and yours truly...

We Belong is a short documentary currently in third place in the Seeds of Tolerance. The first and second place documentaries have more than a 100 vote lead. Fortunately, the voting proceeds until December 2. Thanks to PageOneQ slapping a link to Mr. Wilson's film at the top of the page, that gap may be bridged. A simple registration is required at Current.tv to vote (or even view the entries).

The blurb on We Belong from the contest site:

We Belong
Producer: Joe Wilson

This is the story of two rural teens who had the courage to stand up to bigotry and intolerance in their schools – and the determination to tell their stories to the world.

Homophobia is one of the last “permissible” forms of prejudice. Its effects are especially acute for youth, who often suffer alone and in silence. Two thirds of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender youth experience harassment or violence in school, and the suicide rate for this group is four times the average.

When C.J. Bills is gay bashed in the school locker room, then arrested for disorderly conduct because he protests to an administrator about the harassment he has experienced, he decides to fight back by making a documentary about discrimination. With his family’s help, he also initiates an investigation by the state human rights commission and shames the school district into developing an anti-bullying and diversity training program.

C.J.’s documentary project also leads him to Tim Dahle, a former high school student who challenged the years of anti-gay harassment he suffered in a neighboring town. In Tim’s case, the school district that failed to protect him agreed to one of the largest sexual harassment settlements in history, sending a signal to school districts around the country that such behavior can be costly.

We Belong demonstrates that young people have the power to change their communities and the world, and that helping youth to tell their stories, in their own way and on camera, is enlightening, empowering, and effective.

C.J. was later found guilty on the disorderly conduct charge and sentenced to one day of community service.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 06:08:57 AM by Feral »
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Films To Watch For
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 11:43:52 PM »

Holding Trevor

Should you get the chance, you're going to want to see Holding Trevor. It has Jay Brannon in it, if that's an inducement.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 06:12:44 AM by Feral »
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

berto

• Guru
Films to watch for
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 07:25:32 PM »

This sounds like it could be good...

Interview: Sex, surveillance and gay royals

Surveillance is a fast paced sexual and political thriller set in London.

It stars Tom Harper as Adam, a gay teacher who lives in Surrey and comes to London on the weekends to go clubbing and pick up men.

A casual encounter with a handsome stranger, Jake (Sean Brenden Brosnan) brings Adam to the attention of powerful, unseen forces. They rob him of his job and follow his every move. Suddenly, Adam's life is a mess, and he’s in serious danger. But why him?

Then Adam discovers that Jake planted on him the only evidence of an affair with a gay royal. When Jake is found dead, Adam is forced to go on the run.

Director Paul Oremland shot the film using surveillance media techniques, such as CCTV, web cam, mobile phone cameras and video recorders.

PinkNews.co.uk spoke to Tom Harper about his role as Adam.
"The dignity of an animal is measured by his capacity to revolt in the face of oppression." -- Mikhail Bakunin

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Films to watch for
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 07:43:33 AM »

None of them new, but...

Moments of Gay Movie Magic

When a recent GayNZ.com competition asked: "What's your favourite LGBT-themed movie?" the responses got our memories jogged, and piqued our interest in a few we hadn't heard of before.

Here's just a few inspiring selections for the next time you're wandering the aisles of your local video vault.

Angels in America
Tipping the Velvet
Beautiful Thing
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (though this clip is better)

berto

• Guru
Films to watch for
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 10:00:32 AM »

I will vote for "Beautiful Thing", in a heartbeat. I loved it. It made me shed a tear, which is not (necessarily) an easy thing for a movie to do, especially if it's a tear of happiness.
"The dignity of an animal is measured by his capacity to revolt in the face of oppression." -- Mikhail Bakunin

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Films to watch for
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 07:05:58 PM »

True, that. My vote's still with Maurice.

berto

• Guru
Films to watch for
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 07:39:44 PM »

Oh, I *so* fell in LOVE with the gamekeeper in "Maurice" .... s'WOOOOON! :)

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Films to watch for
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 07:53:56 PM »

Yes. Well.

You can't have him.

He's mine.

Rain

• Guru
Films to watch for
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 01:49:26 AM »

1. Jeffrey
2. Faustrecht der Freiheit (Fox and his Friends)
3. Drôle de Félix (The Aventures of Felix)...that scene when he meets that guy and have sex in the woods.  Oh my!
Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Films to watch for
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 04:57:25 AM »

Quote from: "Rain"
1. Jeffrey
2. Faustrecht der Freiheit (Fox and his Friends)
3. Drôle de Félix (The Aventures of Felix)...that scene when he meets that guy and have sex in the woods.  Oh my!

Rain

• Guru
Films to watch for
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 08:33:34 PM »

And how could I possibly forget:  Torch Song Trilogy...sorry for not hyperlinking, Feral.

"Because everybody knows that queers don't matter, that queers don't love--and those that do DESERVE WHAT THEY GET!!!!"
Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Feral

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • Feral's Treehouse
Films to watch for
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 09:03:22 PM »

That line made me cry when I saw it in the theater (good thing too -- it was only in town for a day or two at most... I think the projectionist must have glanced up at some point and noticed what the film was about).

No need to apologize for not hyperlinking. I LIKE looking things up. I had only heard of "Jeffrey" and I wanted to see if there were any clips lying about. Voilà! There are.

Rain

• Guru
Films to watch for
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 12:09:06 AM »

That line made me cry when I saw it in the theater (good thing too -- it was only in town for a day or two at most... I think the projectionist must have glanced up at some point and noticed what the film was about).

It's a wonderful movie and play.  You have it all in that story.  The pain of loving in many different ways, gay bashing, gay adoption, questions over whose love is real love...gay or straight...its an awesome amount of brain food to consume.

berto

• Guru
Films to watch for
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 03:49:45 PM »

I am still hoping to find a copy of Torch Song Trilogy. No luck on the 'net (so far)... Maybe once I move back to the city...

Vizier

• Administrator
    • http://www.thelastbaron.com
Re: Holding Trevor
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 05:22:56 PM »

Quote from: "Feral"
Should you get the chance, you're going to want to see Holding Trevor. It has Jay Brannon in it, if that's an inducement.

What a marvelous looking film. maybe it will make it over here someday soon, too...
izier - a yummy person!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up