Global Gay Nation > Gay Identity - Queer as Volk?

Gay Comics, Cartoons, and Manga

(1/5) > >>

Feral:
Fans of gay comics will probably enjoy Edge-Boston's republication of "Young Bottoms in Love," an anthology of gay-themed comics that is half a parody of and half a tribute to romance comics popular in the 50s and 60s. More of this series can be had here. Earlier volumnes of the comic were withdrawn from the internet when they were released for sale in book form. These are now fairly difficult to come by.

vanrozenheim:
Sweet collection. There are actually some more gay comics from Europe and USA, and of course lots of "boy love" stories from Japan ("Shonen-Ai" & "Yaoi"). I can recommend the works of Ralf König, Kazuma Kodaka, Maki Murakami, Marimo Ragawa, Hinako Takanaga.

Feral:
Comic rep denies policy to warn readers of gay heroes

--- Quote ---Marvel Entertainment, Inc., is dismissing reports that the comic book company had a policy to carry warning labels on titles with leading gay characters, saying recent news stories about the warning being canceled were “taken out of context.”

“The best way to find this out is to go to the comic book store, and you will not see a warning label on any title with gay characters,” said Jeff Klein, executive vice president of Dan Klores Communication and spokesperson for Marvel.

Earlier this year, Joe Quesada, editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics, angered gay fans and activists when he stated that no ongoing solo series starring gay characters would go out without a warning label, according to the national Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, a media watchdog group.

But Klein said those accounts were based on inaccurate reports.

“On the record, Marvel never had warning labels on comic books with gay characters, and we never will,” he said.
--- End quote ---

Mr. Klein's statements are in direct contradiction to this earlier report:

MARVEL'S E-I-C SAYS 'NO' TO GLBT SOLO TITLES WITHOUT EXPLICIT CONTENT WARNING

--- Quote ---Joe Quesada still says no ongoing solo series starring gay or lesbian characters at Marvel Comics without a MAX or "explicit content" label.

When asked to comment on this editorial decision this Saturday at Wizard World Chicago's "Cup o' Joe" panel, the House of Ideas' Editor-in-Chief apologized for the company's practice, and said that it originated from the amount of negative media attention Marvel recieved when the company decided to create a series in 2002 which focused on the western character Rawhide Kid and his sexuality.

Quesada used Stan Lee's appearance on Crossfire as an example, where the legendary creator was blasted by the show's guest, Andrea Lafferty of the Traditional Values Coalition, for his irresponsible use of a children's character.

"The last thing we want to do is have everybody come down on the entire comic book industry," Quesada said, going on to remind everyone of the pressure the industry was under after the publication of Frederick Wertham's Seduction of the Innocent in 1953, which cast a negative light on the supposed homosexuality of Batman, Robin, and Wonder Woman. "And I do think it is ridiculous."
--- End quote ---

Feral:
I did not know this.

It seems all my favorite cartoonists have done YBIL.

And I've even seen this particular strip. Odd that I did not recognize the artist at the time.

Feral:
You Don't Say -- Lesbian Comics

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version